December 21st, 2023
Legionella Water Testing
Enjoy peace of mind with our professional Legionella testing services
Keep your water free from harmful Legionella bacteria
Get startedBook now
"*" indicates required fields
Legionella water testing services
Whether you’ve got a pond in the garden or hot tub in one of your rental properties, our Legionella testing services can help you ensure your water is safe.
Legionella bacteria isn’t picky – it grows in all bodies of water, including pools, hot water tanks and cooling towers. That’s why it’s important to consistently carry out legionella testing on your water supply.
There are a number of ways to test for Legionella, such as environmental sampling or standard culture testing. Get in touch today and our experts will work with you to create a Legionella testing plan that’s tailored to your needs.
Our water testing for Legionella
Here at Acorn, we offer a comprehensive range of Legionella testing services to help keep your water safe, including:
- Risk assessment: We assess your water system to identify potential Legionella risks and to keep you compliant with UK standards.
- Hot and cold water monitoring: We monitor your water systems and their temperatures to ensure they are within the safe range.
- Water sample analysis: We perform laboratory tests of mains and private water supplies.
- Cleaning and disinfection: We treat and disinfect your water system to remove any bacteria or sediment.
- Pool water sampling: We test samples of your pool water to ensure it is safe for swimming.
Ready to enjoy some peace of mind? Our Legionella water testing services can help you to protect your health and the health of your family, employees and tenants.
Legionella Testing: How It Works
Let our experts handle your Legionella water testing.
Request a quote
Call or email our team today to request a FREE quote for your Legionella test.
Get expert advice
If you’re not sure what Legionella testing service you need, our team can give you honest, reliable advice.
Worried your water is contaminated? Our team of experts are on hand 24/7.
Why choose us
Decades of Experience
Our qualified Engineers have over 25 years of experience in the water hygiene industry, so you can count on us to reduce risk and keep your water safe.
Member of the Legionella Control Association (LCA)
We fully registered with the LCA, working inline with the LCA Service Standards and the LCA Code of Conduct.
Aftercare & Prevention
Once we have carried out our Legionella water testing services, we will leave you with helpful tips on how to make sure your water stays safe.
North West & Yorkshire Coverage
We provide our Legionella testing services to clients in Greater Manchester, Yorkshire and the wider North West area. If needed, we can provide specialist Legionella testing UK-wide.
What is Legionella?
Legionella is a type of bacteria that is found in natural water sources (e.g. ponds, lakes and rivers), as well as purpose-built hot and cold water systems (e.g. spa pools, fountains and waterparks). Legionella can cause Legionnaires Disease when people breathe in tiny droplets of water that contain the bacteria.
The World Health Organization recommends that the concentration of Legionella in water be kept below 100 colony-forming units (CFUs) per millilitre (mL). However, even this level may be too high for some people, such as those who are immunocompromised. Carrying out water testing for Legionella can help you keep your water safe.
Want to get the all clear? Contact our experts to get started with your Legionella water testing journey.
Legionnaires Disease: What you need to know
Legionnaires Disease is a severe form of pneumonia that can cause potentially fatal complications in your lungs. This disease is not contagious – it can only be contracted through inhaling water that is contaminated with Legionella bacteria.
Worried about Legionnaires Disease? The symptoms of Legionnaires’ disease are similar to those of other types of pneumonia, and can include:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Muscle aches
Breathe easy – book in our Legionella testing services for your water system.
A Member of The Legionella Control Association
Acorn Environment Services Ltd are pleased to announce that we have received confirmation that our recent Legionella Control Association (LCA) company audit has been successfully signed off.
As an LCA member we demonstrate that we have complied with the LCA Code of Conduct and LCA Service Standards and that we are committed to helping our customers prevent legionellosis and keep water systems safe.
How to prevent Legionella
Once you’ve booked in your Legionella water testing, there are a few things you can do to keep on top of your water quality. These are:
- Keep hot water temperatures at 48°C or higher.
- Keep cold water temperatures at 20°C or lower.
- Flush hot water taps for at least 30 seconds before using them.
- Clean and sanitise water systems regularly.
- Ventilate areas where water is used, such as showers and bathtubs.
- Keep water moving in pipes and systems to prevent stagnation.
- Remove any sediment or debris from water systems.
- Use a water filter that removes chlorine and other chemicals that can promote Legionella growth.
What our clients are saying
"I rang out of hours for a wasp nest and someone came that evening and sorted the problem for me and my little boy as he's highly allergic, he was friendly & helpfull and reassuring, would highly recommend them really easy to contact Friendly team"
"Acorn were so helpful on there online chat I had an issue with pigeons nesting under my solar panels and didn't know what to do,withing an hour I'd been contacted given a quote and 24hrs after acorn had been cleaned all the mess up and removed all the nests and proofed all my solar panels stopping pigeons coming back under can't recommend enough!"
"Really grateful to Demi and the team for assisting at such short notice. Prompt service which ran smoothly. Highly recommend!"
"Used Acorn for a garden/yard clearance! Superb service! The two guys who came (Chris and Chris) were polite, professional and friendly. Start to finish it took no more than half an hour! Very impressed, would highly recommend."
"I had a pigeon problem so I contacted Acorn, they came out and got rid for me. They also did a house clearance for me at the same time. I was amazed at the quality of the work done, and the aftercare. I would 100% recommend them."
"Acorn came to remove a wasps nest from the time to reporting it to Acorn arriving to remove it was a total of 3 hours. I was so impressed. The lads who came were very helpful, professional and polite. Great value for money and I will be recommending to all my family and friends"
Legionella Water Testing FAQs
Can Legionella Disease be prevented?
How can a person contract Legionella's Disease?
How much could you be fined for Legionella?
How much does it cost to test for Legionella?
Who can test for Legionella?
Legionella testing can be done by a variety of professionals, including:
- Water treatment specialists
- Environmental health officers
- Public health laboratories
Get in touch with our experts today to get started.
Can you test for Legionella yourself?
How often should a landlord do a Legionella test?
How can I arrange Legionella sampling?
Do I really need to test for Legionella in my domestic water system?
Do I need Legionella testing or a Legionella Risk Assessment?
What are the first steps in preventing Legionella bacteria?
Where and when you find Legionella
Legionella bacteria can be found in a wide range of different water systems. That being said, it is most likely to be present if the water meets one or all of the following:
- The water temperature is maintained between 20°C and 45°C
- Has nutrients
- Is stagnant (i.e. not moving)
Some of the most common water systems that can be homes for Legionella bacteria include:
- Hot water tanks
- Cooling towers
- Domestic hot and cold water systems
- Hot tubs
What’s the difference between Legionella testing and sampling?
How often should you carry out Legionella testing?
How often you carry out Legionella testing depends on the type of water system you have and the outcome of your Legionella Risk Assessment. Generally, though, you can follow these guidelines:
- Open systems (such as cooling towers or spa pools) should be tested at least quarterly, unless circumstances require more frequent sampling.
- Hot and cold water systems are not open to the elements and so have a lower risk of contamination. Because of this, monitoring the system isn’t always necessary, unless a risk assessment pulls up a concern.
What factors influence Legionella testing in Manchester?
Every building has its own unique water system and so, in certain environments, the risk for Legionella contamination is higher. In fact, different sectors and industries have their own factors to consider:
- Healthcare - Because places such as hospitals and care homes have complex water systems that serve vulnerable people, the risk for contamination and transmission is much higher.
- Hospitality - Large resorts or hotels often have hot tubs or even decorative fountains. Since these water systems are often stagnant and maintained at level temperatures, they are the perfect breeding ground for Legionella bacteria.
- Public facilities - Leisure centres or public swimming pools with warm water systems also provide ideal conditions for Legionella growth and so have a high risk for contamination.
No one wants to endanger public health, which is why it’s so important to keep on top of your Legionella water testing. Get in touch with our experts today for professional services and complete peace of mind.
Why should you test for Legionella?
How long does a Legionella test take to complete?
How long does it take to receive the results from a Legionella test?
October 9th, 2023
How to protect your home from the Paris bed bug infestation
September 5th, 2023
Water Testing: The basics to remember
August 2nd, 2023
Legionella Bacteria & The Role of Temperature
July 17th, 2023
What is water recycling?
Speak to a specialist today
Discover how we can help
"*" indicates required fields